Help - water leak in YM senior

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

Joao

Help - water leak in YM senior

Post by Joao »

Hello Everyone,

So last weekend I finally got the boat in the water!

We spent three hours sailing and I spotted a water leak right under the hatch into the covered area. I checked under the cockpit but there was no water there and also noticed that there was some peeled of paint internally. I also noticed a bracket and 4 screws there - I believe they might be from the depth gauge the boat has. (please see photo at the end or use link).

In the three hours I would say the amount of water was approx 50 to 100ml and not more. But I was not comfortable to leave the boat in a mooring.

I am thinking of stripping the paint internally around this area and doing a coat of epoxy to try and seal it off and also of having a look under the boat to check of any cracks or signs of possible water ingress and then apply epoxy filler and a coat of epoxy to finish of the season and in two months have a proper look.

Any advice on what to do?

Is epoxy a good solution?

Thank you for your comments,
Joao

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1la9H2A ... sp=sharing

Keith Mc

Re: Help - water leak in YM senior

Post by Keith Mc »

Hi Joao
Just trying to look at the pic. but it is google pics and I need your permission, which I have requested.
Keith
Joao

Post by Joao »

Keith,

I just granted access. Its the same pic you should see in this post, but not too sure if this one works or not.

Kind regards,
Joao
Joao

Post by Joao »

after cleanup of the area, here are some photos inside and under the boat. Kind regards, Joao

zip file for wetransfer download

https://we.tl/t-LTMXR684iC
Eventide Owners Group

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Hello there Joao.

I have managed to download all those photos and had a good look.

Seems that there are many places the water my have got in?

Is the leak right alongside the main keelson in the middle of the boat? Or on top of a bilge keel?

I would look outside the boat to see if there any obvious cracks. So difficult to figure how far a leak may travel horizonally along a plank before entering the boat.

Have to say Epoxy is not the answer here. For one thing the timber is damp, from the leak, so it will never stick.

A Sikaflex or similar would be more practial, but only if you can pin point the souce outside. You may have to scrape out around a keel if that is where it is coming from, then apply a bead of Sikaflex.

Good luck.

Regards,
John
Eventiders
Web site Coordinator