Long lost Eventide...

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

Hobgoblin

Long lost Eventide...

Post by Hobgoblin »

Hello,

I hope someone out there can help me. My grandfather built and almost completed an Eventide about 20 years ago.

Just before completing the boat he had to move house, which also meant couldn’t keep/finish his Eventide. He gave it away to a man he knew at the time.

My grandfather and I would love to know what happened to her in the end. Unfortunately I only have a few details but if anyone has any information I would be very glad to hear from you!

Birth place: Eccles, Manchester
Builder: Harold (Harry) Grange
Given to a man from Monton, Manchester in 1998.
Proposed (but unconfirmed name): Hobgoblin II
The pictures at this address were taken mid-way through the build:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x4hhwlv9k9ke ... WHjja?dl=0

Thank you in advance for any help.

P.S. My grandfather tells me the boat was an Eventide, but also that is was 30ft? I wonder if this is possible?
Eventide Owners Group

Re: Long lost Eventide...

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Hello There and welcome to the Forum.

Sounds as if the boat, as it was not completed, may have been called anything by the new owner, so the name is not a lot to go on. About a thousand Eventides were built, mostly in back yards, all over the world. However most were issued with a sail number, if we had that it might be easier to track it.

Looking at the pictures, it is difficult to say what length it is, but if it were a 26ft version, a 4foot bowsprit would take it to 30ft!

We have records going back to the year dot and I will be having a search to see if i can find any trace of those surnames on them, that may give us a start.

I also have all the old 'bulletins' from my days as editor, secretary and president of the now defunct assoc and have a dim recollecion of an advert for the boat in one of them..

I will come back to this page to post a response for all to see, but if you would like to contact us directly, please simply mail us at:- enquiries@eventides.org.uk

It might be an idea to send those pictures to us as jpg files and that way we can publish them on the site with another plea for details....

Regards
John Williams
Website Coordinator
Eventide Owners Group
Web site Coordinator
Eventide Owners Group

Re: Long lost Eventide...

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Back again,

Sadly nothing has turned up with either the boat name Hobgoblin, nor your Grandfathers surname, which is odd as I do recall a boat being sold or passed on to a new owner about then. Could be the new owner was in contact, not the 'seller'.... Wonder if your grandfather was actually a member of the old association, if he was the records I have would show him.... No chance that he may recall a sail number is there?

I can still recite all the sail numbers of the dinghies I owned, plus my police numbers from cadet to retirement.. my grey cells have not failed
me.... yet! Good chance your grandfather may recall the number, especially as he built it, should be engrained in his mind! Mine is!

I have now also searched though the back numbers of that magazine to see if I can find a trace that way, but nothing at the moment and I have covered 6 years either side of that date, nothing, so sadly we are no further forward..

Maybe an appeal to a wider audience on the pages of the website proper....

If you could find a sail number???

Regards,
John
Eventiders
Web site Coordinator