Rust streak

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

Mallibee

Rust streak

Post by Mallibee »

Hi , my GH31 ( ply) has developed a rust streak from the join that is just fwd of the prop where the main hull joins the wood section of the Keel , I have an idea that it may be from bolts that were put in at build to keep the layers of wood sections of timber together. It isn't a large streak about 10 mm wide and comes from the seam that is right at the bottom of the hull about 3 ft fwd of the prop . The boat is very good generally and this is annoying and it needs a proper repair. At first I thought that this might be an old washer or something metal that had been dropped into the bilge at some point , but I can see nothing that might suggest a problem there ,(That doesn't mean there isn't one !) that is why I think it may be at least one of the bolts, and it/they may be rusting inside , or at least one of them maybe. There are a couple of 'patches' where it looks like the bolt heads may be inside of the wood section of keel but I don't want to start hacking that out if that is not the problem or won't provide a solution , I am pretty competent generally but I do not want to begin the work before I have a better idea what I may find , it has to be done ,but I suspect the problem was built in when the boat was put together Has anyone else had this problem , and how did you resolve it please any suggestions would be welcome , Thank you
mallibee2.jpg
mallibee2.jpg (147.94 KiB) Viewed 24300 times
In the photograph you can't actually see the streak ( helpful !) but as I say in runs down the wood part of the keel from the seam where the ply joins the keel and is about 10 mm wide and about 3ft from the prop /cutlass bearing, so well above the prop shaft .
Mallibee

Re: Rust streak

Post by Mallibee »

This has been viewed over 5,500 times and no replies at all .. :x Just me then :lol:
Mollymawk and me

Post by Mollymawk and me »

I’ve got a Golden Hind too! Yours looks lovely. Sorry I’ve no idea on how to help!
Terry
Eventide Owners Group

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

Sadly a rust streak always means there is a bolt somewhere inside that has rusted!

The only way to properly sort it is to start digging!

Often bolts were itted with the heads inside and the nut below, if you dig out around the spot the rust starts hopefully you may find the bolt that is rusting.

Years ago there was a method of X-Raying keel bolts in situe, to see their condition, not sure anyone does this today.

Take it there is a bolt or pair of bolts inside in line with this stain, there should be.

Regards,
John
Eventiders
Web site Coordinator