Any details of Griffiths 40' design 'Augusta'??

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

_/)

Any details of Griffiths 40' design 'Augusta'??

Post by _/) »

We are currently working on the rebuild of a Griffiths 40' design called 'Augusta' in Catalunya, Spain.
We have one barely readable torn old drawing and was hoping that someone may have stumbled upon some more drawings or know any more details about this beautiful design.
The boat was found in a terrible state, but once rebuilt the owner is planning a solo non-stop voyage around the world in about 2012. Taking inspiration from Slocum and Knox-Johnston, the boat will feature a gaf rig, but using striped-spruce/carbon hybrid construction.
See images below of current state of the project.
Thanks

Wooden Boat Fittings

Post by Wooden Boat Fittings »

I see what you mean by the state of the drawing...

I can't read details from the drawing, but what does it say, or what is there about the vessel, that makes you think she's an MG design?

Mike
Eventide Owners Group

U/K MG

Post by Eventide Owners Group »

I looked at this at first and thought no....

but I then turned to '60 years a yacht designer' page 78.
Could this be Kismet.?

MG himself lost track of her. The coachroof looks similar, but shorter and further forward maybe, the underwater sections very similar. She is shown as 38.5 ft long and has a centre board. Close examination of the plan sheet shows the faint outline of an MG type Centreboard box! It differs from the one shown in the book, but these drawings were for the prototype, that was never built and MG states there were changes for the Australian yard.

Is the beam 11ft I wonder?

She was supposed to have been built in Australia, to be able to sail in shallow waters yet cruise the Pacific...

Sadly I could not make out anything resembling an address or designers name etc on the drawing.. anyone else any ideas....

John
Web site Coordinator