Filling, painting

Ask an Expert !
Do you have a question about any aspect of YM designed boats?

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

Mike Brown

Filling, painting

Post by Mike Brown »

Hello all.
I have had my 24ft Eventide out of the water now for 12 mths. In that time it was outside covered, but the heat has opened some of the timber joins and some cracks have appeared on the cabin top, cabin side area, and next to companion way etc and some of the hull joins above and below the water line have opened. It is all solid teak and the hull is teak diagonal planked.
I now have yacht stored in a covered shed where I will continue with restoration and here it will stay until finished.
I know that below the water line I should use the linseed putty to fill the seams because some of these will swell when back in water but is it okay to fill the other openings and cracks with epoxy filler as a full paint covering will be used before it goes back in the water.
Also with using the linseed oil putty is this pressed into the seams after the finish of all the priming or is it after the undercoating is applied.
I have also read a few comments on this site regarding primer and undercoat and some say if you can 10 to 14 coats of primer is advisable. How many coats of primer and undercoat would be ideal to use on this timber construction? I will be using epiglass single pack paints.
Look forward to hearing from you fellow restorers, keep up the good work.

Mike Brown
New Zealand
Fiddler's Green

Epoxy filler

Post by Fiddler's Green »

Yes Mike,

I would go for the epoxy where the cabin top and decks are to be later coated with a modern paint.

For the hull, specially beneath the waterline a flexible filler of some sort would be better. If the timber moves a lot, then anyfiller that sets or semi sets might cause probelms. Go to your local paint sales outlet and ask for a painting guide. Then if using their products follow them. They may not recommend linseed as the oil will be difficult to coat. they may suggest something like 'SikaFlex' but becareful that it has enough flex...

As for primer and filler, most fillers need a primer coat first, but again follow the advice given by the manufacturer.

Internationals old waterproof primer needed 5 coats to be really waterproof! You can easily get to 10 coats if you count a filler as a coat in between primers! But then the finish is great! No point using an expensive topcoat if you have not done the preparation coats..

Just finished a repaint on an 18ft GRP boat, 3 coats primer with 3 coats of filler, one coat under coat, one coat undercoat mixed 50/50 with top coat, then lastly 1 coat top coat.

Finish.... Magic!

Arms, fallen off!

Good painting, your sailing season is just kicking off, don't miss it!

John
Proud owner and builder of 'Fiddler's Green'