Solid fuel stoves

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: Eventide Owners Group, Piskie, chris s

Tim Fenner

Solid fuel stoves

Post by Tim Fenner »

Considering filling a solid fuel stove (because its cheeper than liquide fuel stoves) to my Waterwitch "Wedjit" (ex Peter North). There was an American stove, it cracked, but the flue (cannot spell. this is a tube not a disease) is still there and a hearth. Looked at second hand but advised to go small as they are powerful. Also looked at Davey and Co. There "Hot pot" seems a possibility. Anybody any experience? Tim Fenner
Fiddler's Green

Re: Solid fuel stoves

Post by Fiddler's Green »

Hi Tim, I have asked on the main site to see if I can tempt an answer out of anyone....

Sadly not been shipmates with one so cannot answer.

With the temperature down to minus 2 tonight I can see the attraction if you were staying aboard!

Regards,
John
Proud owner and builder of 'Fiddler's Green'
Kenneth Marsden

Post by Kenneth Marsden »

Tim,
You may be right about liquid fuel stoves being dear to run - especially if you burn parrafin; I have a diesel stove, made by Refleks (Denmark) which seems to put out a lot of heat for very little fuel, and of course it's convenient to use as it's plumbed in to the main engine fule feed. My stove is the smallest that Refleks make, and at the lowest setting is adequate for my GH 31. It has a milled top plate fopr heating food in a devent pan, which is a bonus.

I had a smaller boat with a charcoal stove, and that worked well but was messy, and fiddly to get going. Such stoves would be cheaper to buy than any diesel stove.

Good lock.

Ken Marsden
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Hi
Look at Machine mart the smallest pot belly stove should suffice, or the barrel stove.
Or look on ebay for a gas bottle stove if looks aren't important?

Yours James
Hi looking to build an WW!
any thoughts.
Have many of the materials for keel and frame.
Yours James
chris s

Post by chris s »

Yes a Gas bottle stove might be an idea.
Wooden Boat Fittings

Post by Wooden Boat Fittings »

There's some material on solid fuel heaters here -- http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread. ... oat-heater